Investing in additional firearms combat training was an incredible experience and also exposed a few holes in my game and understanding of firearms.
Specifically speaking, today I’m referring to experiences with different holsters for the 1911 and how much of a difference they can make when drawing your gun.
It’s one thing when you’re in a survival or prepper shop and trying out a holster and the gun seems to fit and it’s a whole other experience when you are out on a range, sweating, sun beating down, and you have to practice smoothly drawing your firearm and hitting a target over and over again.
Working with a group of individuals that were willing to share gear allowed me to get a feel for different accessories and holsters. Small details became evident in my experience such as some holsters having a smoother draw than others, while some had superior grip to secure the firearm in place better.
If you find yourself in a hostile or survival situation every second can count and having your 1911 get caught when drawing it can have disastrous consequences.
Best 1911 Holster: My Top Picks
Here are my top picks at a quick glance:
| Check Price on|
| Check Price on|
| Check Price on|
1. Best IWB 1911 Holster – Milt Sparks Holsters Review
It’s a fine thing in life when utility anesthetics are both present in a product. The Milt Sparks holsters are my top choice for IWB leather 1911 holsters due to the solid construction, sharp appearance, and clean draw. The texture inside the holster on this one allows for a solid grip on your 1911 but also contributes to a smooth draw from The holster when needed in a potential survival situation.
- Very solid grip on the 1911. Any good prepper knows that properly securing gear is vital.
- Effective and efficient design means that this holster takes up minimal space while performing its Duty excellently.
- Durable Construction means that this 1911 holster should last a long time.
- Many comparable products in terms of size are far cheaper. Some people say that these are overpriced.
- There are no compartments or additional storage for extra ammunition.
- Not everyone will like the leather aesthetic of this 1911 holster.
Users have reported that this poster is ideal for those who might have to keep their 1911 on them for extended periods at a time. The Comfort level and durability make a slightly higher price tag very much worth it. I’ve never had to keep a gun on me for more than a few hours at a time so I can imagine how important it must feel to have a holster that allows you to comfortably remain armed for longer periods of time.
2. Best Shoulder Holster for 1911 – Galco Miami Classic Shoulder Holster Review
The first time I put on the classic shoulder holster during a firearms training course I immediately realized that it would require a degree of training and practice to really get used to using a shoulder holster for a 1911.
The Galco International Miami Classic Shoulder holster makes it to the top of my list of shoulder holsters for the 1911 due to its comfortable and balanced fit, the durable construction, and additional pouches for ammo.
- Durable construction, solid stitching, and material used makes this 1911 shoulder holster able to remain functional for longer periods of time than other comparable products. Durability is vital. All four points of the spider harness pivot which is nice as well.
- Design allows for solid grip on your 1911 to keep it secured in place. Vital to consider if you need to be on the move with it. I could feel a difference when doing moving and firing drills while wearing one.
- Additional pouches to contain 2 extra magazines of ammo.
- Concealability factor is significantly lower than IWB and OWN holsters. Not ideal for all situations.
- Takes some getting used to weight distribution. My first time using one I knew right away that it would take time and drills to get right with the feeling of it.
- Far from the cheapest product on the market.
Users who knew what they were getting into adore this one. Some users bought these shoulder rigs because they saw it in a movie and did not think it through. All in all, best shoulder harness on the market for the 1911.
- 1911 5-Inch Colt, Kimber, Para, Springfield
Last update on 2020-08-12 at 15:58 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
3. Best Belly Band Holster for 1911 – ComfortTac Belly Band Holster for CCW Review
Wearing a belly band style holster means constant contact with the holster so the material it is made from makes a huge difference.
The reason that the ComfortTac Ultimate Belly Band Holster for Concealed Carry hits my number one spot for belly band holsters is the neoprene material used and it’s lack of rough edges.
- Can be worn with pretty much any outfit or clothing item.
- Soft and comfortable to wear against your skin due to neoprene used in construction.
- Allows for a variety of draw positions ranging from left, right, cross draw, in the small of your back or on your hip.
- Draw speed could be reduced depending on the clothing items covering it. If things get heated every second can be vital.
- Not ideal for all body types. May need to try it on before committing to it or even slightly modifying it.
- Regular movement could displace the holster requiring you to periodically readjust it. In a survival situation you don’t want to potentially reveal the location of your weapon.
The vast majority of reviews seem to give this 1911 belly band holster a thumbs up. What few complaints are mentioned seem very minimal. Great value buy here that is flexible in its use has many users very pleased with the purchase.
- 3 SIZES FOR A PERFECT FIT - All of our belly band holsters are adjustable but the 3 lengths ensure...
- ONE SIZE FITS MOST HOLSTER - Surgical grade elastic holster fits almost any gun from micro,...
Last update on 2020-06-19 at 12:28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
4. Best Minimalist 1911 Holster – Blade Tech Inside the Waistband Review
I tend to have a soft spot in my heart for gear that tends to be minimalistic in nature wherever possible and that is why this Blade Tech Industries Phantom Inside the Waistband Fits 1911 with 5 Inches Barrel Holster catches my eye as the top minimalist holster for a 1911 user.
Surprisingly durable considering how thin it is, this holster is lightweight and very hard to spot when worn properly. I know I just feel safer carrying when I’m confident that my gun is well concealed.
- High concealability factor allows for a 1911 to remain hidden while carrying. That element of surprise can be what saves your family should that need arise.
- Minimalistic design means less weight and irritation with this product.
- The Pull the Dot system and dual IWB loops allow for securing your weapon properly. I’ve been terrified in the past that my firearm was not properly secured and would show at the worst moments.
- The minimal design also means that there is zero space for additional ammo. If you are looking to stay prepared with extra ammo while utilizing this 1911 holster then I recommend considering alternative self-storage solutions for ammo like in a jacket, vehicle, or bag.
- Does not fit all 1911 variations due to restricted size.
- Not ideal for all body types. Some users have reported that it does not fit well on the dad bod/beer belly body types.
The Blade Tech Industries Phantom Inside the Waistband Fits 1911 with 5 Inches Barrel Holster has brought peace of mind to many users due to how well that it conceals and secures their 1911. The level of concealability truly makes this one stand out.
- Black IWB (inside waistband) holster
- Fit: 1911 government 5 inch
Last update on 2020-08-12 at 16:18 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
5. Best Kydex 1911 Holsters – Outlaw Holsters OWB Holster Review
This Kydex 1911 holster product stands out to me for a handful of reasons. It is durable, simple, and provides a very smooth draw for your 1911 and keeps any potential attackers from identifying your weapon.
I’m fond of clean and simple design. Simplicity means less moving parts to potentially break down and become compromised. I personally love the smooth pull that kydex offers.
- Damage resistant kydex used to make these holsters keeps it intact and functional for longer periods of time.
- Catch free draw let’s the user pull their weapon and acquire the target quickly.
- Lightweight design and material let’s us wear this one for longer time periods without experiencing discomfort. Have you ever let go a sigh of relief after removing your holster and weapon? Me too.
- This is another 1911 holster that offers no additional ammunition pouches or slots.
- Not everyone enjoys the minimalistic aesthetic and design.
- Limited weapon security in terms of gun retention in certain positions. If you bend over too far or end up upside down then there’s a chance this gun will fall out. The thought of my gun dropping in a public setting has worried me so that is worth considering.
There’s no denying that most of the users of Outlaw Holsters – Green & Black U.S.A. Flag Kydex OWB Holster love it for the solid and minimal design, the light weight factor, and the clean draw. We also cannot ignore the customers that mention that gun retention can be questionable due to the fact that it can fall out if in certain circumstances. I’d say that this 1911 holster is still an amazing product, just be aware of it’s limitations and it should serve you just fine.
Last update on 2020-08-12 at 16:18 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
What Makes a 1911 Holster Good and Which Types are Ideal?
There is no shortage of companies out there in today’s market that are eager to sell you their 1911 holster products so it is worth performing the due diligence to ensure that we are getting the product ideal for us.
I personally did not give it much thought until I had to drill drawing my weapon over and over at the fire range and the course.
Here are some items to keep in mind when selecting your own poster for your 1911:
Location on Your Body
Where do you intend to keep the gun on your body? Will you be using an IWB (inside waistband), OWB (outside waistband) or a shoulder rig? Knowing in advance where you intend to keep the gun will prove to be useful and selecting a proper 1911 holster product.
The first time I held in 1911 as a teenager I was struck by how slim the gun was and yet how heavy it was. These are factors to consider When selecting the best 1911 holster for your setup. A good grip will help to ensure that the 1911 is properly secured. The weight distribution and shape of the gun does not always fit ideally with general-purpose holsters.
I’ve learned that when purchasing any type of survival or combat gear that I must think beyond the initial impression, fit, or appearance. I’ve learned to ask myself whether or not I can see this product surviving harsher conditions and potentially abrasive treatment. The material that your 1911 holster is made from will play a critical role in how long the holster last and how well it performs. More modern materials such as polymer or Kydex make 4 Solid holster materials. Leather is another tried-and-true material that is popular among 1911 users.
Open Questions about 1911 Holsters
What does “positive retention” or “gun retention” mean and why does it matter?
This is a factor that resides near and dear to my own heart. Gun or positive retention means the ability the holster possesses to hold your gun securely in place. I’ve always had a concern over my weapon becoming visible or even falling out so this is an important factor to me. We absolutely want our firearms to remain in place as they should.
Will the holster accommodate different variants of the 1911?
As you learn more about 1911 holster options you will find that some will only secure basic forms of the 1911 so it is worth looking into reviews and data on a holster before purchasing it. I’d be frustrated to pick up a holster only to learn it’s not a proper fit. Also there is no denying that satisfaction when dropping your gun into a properly fitting holster.
What materials make for the best 1911 holsters?
The best 1911 holsters on the market tend to be made from materials such as kydex, neoprene, leather, and nylon. There are pros and cons for different materials so make sure to perform your proper research before committing to a 1911 holster product.
Let me wrap up this subject with a brief breakdown of how I see this list.
If you’re looking for a reliable IWB holster for your 1911 then the leather Milt Sparks Holsters is my first thought due to the clean draw, durable construction, and minimal design.
On the other end of the spectrum, the Galco International - Miami Classic Shoulder Holster is my top recommendation for shoulder harnesses for your 1911.
My biggest factor to keep in mind is gun retention because I don’t think that any of us want to experience loss of control of our firearms while out and about. Ultimately this is another topic that requires you to perform your own research, weigh the pros versus the cons, and proceed with your specific needs in mind as you search for your own ideal holster for your 1911.