Over the years I have tried many things out in the field and one thing I found that works really well for those of you that don’t like a heavy pack is WEB gear, sometimes known as LBE (Load Bearing Equipment).
In this guest article my friend Chuck shows us how WEB Gear can be a great alternative to backpacks if you need less weight and more maneuverability than a Bug Out Bag
I prefer the H-Harness to any other kind. They also have a Y-Harness, but I prefer the weight distribution of the H. With either of these you have the ability to put a compass pouch on one shoulder and a knife one the other. I know it sounds like a bad movie but having those on your harness is a good thing.
I found that a Cold Steel SRK (Survival Rescue Knife) works well for the knife because of the sheath. Also, on the either harness is a spot for a sleeping bag once it is in the synch strap. I like that feature because is hangs down your back out of the way.
To outfit my web belt I like to use M-16 magazine pouches, but I take out the magazine dividers first. Here is a list of everything I’m able to carry in the pouches and around the belt of the harness:
- Bandanna folded and put on the bottom
- Back up compass
- Small fine hone stone
- Pocket knife (Spyderco Manix 2)
- Granola bars
- Water proof pill bottle with matches
- Pill bottle with a fishing kit
- 10ft of Paracord
- Mini mag light
- 2 Military Canteens with cup and iodine tablets
- Parry Blade Survival Knife
- Two pair of socks and underwear wrapped up in a water resistant bag and compressed
- MREs (without the cardboard boxes) enough for three days
- Small roll of toilet paper around a dowel rod
- Folding Saw
- A small first aid kit:
- 20 alcohol prep pads
- 75 Band-Aids of various sizes
- 4 ace bandages
- Needles and thread
- Eye drops
- Saline solution
- Scalpel with disposable blades
- Another mini flash light
- Chest wound compress
- Three slings
I am always open to suggestions on how to improve my set up but this is a good list to start from.
Visit Our New Survival Gear Store – Forge Survival Supply