A life long hunter, fisherman, and outdoorsman, after surviving a devastating tornado touchdown in his home town, he saw the effects on people’s lives as they struggled to cope. He built his first bugout bag a few weeks later and has been a dedicated prepper and survivalist since that time. He as attended numerous schools, camps, and training to hone his skills.
After retiring from the fire department, Dennis opened a retail store catering to the military, law enforcement, and like-minded individuals in the preparedness community. The store offered Dennis the opportunity to become familiar with the best of survival and tactical equipment. As a licensed firearms dealer, he also had a chance to handle, fire, and evaluate a wide range of weapons.
Dennis closed his store several years ago and now concentrates on his large garden and greenhouse, keeping his shooting and tactical skills sharp, reloading, and teaching his grandsons the skills they will need in the future.
How does Elijah Answer 17 Survival Questions?
Please describe your everyday carry?
My everyday carry includes
- A front pocket wallet with a money clip in which I carry my cash, credit cards and ID
- Car Keys
- A Boker AK74 automatic folding knife
- A Bite ceramic neck knife in a Kydex sheath
- A Glock 43 usually inside the waistband in a custom-built leather and Kydex holster
- A Fenix PD35 flashlight
- A CAT tourniquet
I sometimes carry a day bag that has a UHF/VHF handheld radio, an extra battery, a trauma kit, various other small utility items
2. Favorite bug out pistol?
My full-size combat pistol is a CANIK TP9 DA fitted with a TLR 1 light.
3. Favorite concealed carry pistol?
See above. The Glock 43 is my every day carry.
4. Favorite bug-out rifle or carbine?
Custom built 300 Blackout. 10.5 inch barrel, suppressed with a Vortex scope.
5. Favorite rifle or carbine?
6. Favorite shotgun?
Remington Model 870 tactical
7. The amount of food you have at your house?
My wife and I could comfortably make do for at least a year on what we have stored. If you count what we can grow in our greenhouse and our garden, I am sure we could be almost self-sustaining
8. Name your top 7 items in your bug out bag?
- water purification and filtration kit
- fire-starting kit
- first aid kit
- maps and navigation kit
- communications (UHF/VHF radio, extra batteries, chargers)
- Shelter Kit (Mils-spec poncho and poncho liner)
- extra socks
9. Describe your bug out location, if you have one?
Several scattered around. Some within walking distance and other further. They are identified and prepared locations.
10. Describe your bug out vehicle?
2006 Chevrolet Silverado, four wheel drive crew cab with HF radios and antennas installed. Dual battery power system, oversized alternator
11. Describe your bug out bag?
I use the three day assault pack that is part of the USMC ILBE system
12. Favorite home defense pistol?
13. Favorite home defense rifle/shotgun?
14. Favorite survival book?
On Killing by Lt. Col. Dave Grossman.
15. Favorite survival type movie?
I don’t watch movies.
16. Survival knife?
17. Survival tools in your kit?
Almost too many to list…
- Leatherman tool
- Compact nut and screwdriver kit
- Sewing kit
- Small AR armorers kit
- Gerber camp ax
- Chicago steel full-size single bit ax