The Sawyer Extractor is the best first aid application for poisonous snake bites as well as insect bites and stings. The Extractor is a venom suction system that removes the venom from the victims bloodstream. The Sawyer Extractor system is also reusable and a definite must have for your Bug Out Bag or other survival gear.
While it is prominently known as a first aid measure for a dangerous snake bite, it is equally effective for relief from mosquito bites or bee stings.
Snake bites are a definite threat in a survival situation and a hospital may not be available, you are going to need all of the help you can get.
The Extractor Pump ® Vacuum was designed specifically to provide the most powerful suction available for the safe extraction of venoms and poisons.
Because its Double Chamber Pump action is so powerful you will not need to use the dangerous scalpel blades or knives associated with less effective bite kits. Because it’s a Pump and not a Syringe, it’s easy to use with one hand.
Simply select which of the four plastic cups best covers the bitten area, attach it to the pump, then a simple push of the plunger with your thumb and the Extractor Pump® will quickly and effectively remove venoms and poisons from below your skin. By simply cleaning the cups after each use you may safely reuse the pump over and over again.
Obviously trying to suck the venom out of someones leg, or trying to “bleed them out” is a terrible idea and will do nothing but hurt the victim more. With such a great tool available there is no reason not to have several in your gear.
The kit comes in a small plastic box that is 5×3 and weighs only 4.8 ounces. They usually run anywhere from 15-25 dollars, but since the system is reusable it is a worthwhile investment. Amazon has the kit for $15.
You can read more about snake bites and uses for the Sawyer Extractor in their Bite and Sting Pamplet (PDF).
Do you have an outdated blade snake bite kit that needs replacing?